Munay Huayhuash (mountaineering trek)
Munay Huayhuash, in the Quechua language means "the most desirable option", it’s called that because on this trek of just a few days you visit some of the most interesting places in the Cordillera Huayhuash and you climb a moderate level peak Diablo Mudo 5350 m / 17 552 ft, and ideal peak for amateur mountaineers; getting to the summit of this peak you see directly the west faces of the tallest mountains of the Cordillera Huayhuash; mountains like Yerupaja, the second highest in Peru. This route also affords spectacular views of lakes such as Jahuacocha and Solteracocha, it is rich in Andean flora and wildlife, offers many photographic opportunities, and also has fishing possibilities if you so desire.
Duration: 5 days
Distance: 35 Km Approx.
Finish: Rondoy valley
Elevation: 3300 –5350 m
Itinerary at a glance:
Day 1: Huaraz 3100m – Llámac 3250m - Pampa Llámac 3900 m
Day 2: Pampa Llámac - Achin River 3800m - Qashpapampa 4500 m
Day 3: Qashpapampa - Diablo Mudo summit 5350m - Jahuacocha 4070m.
Day 4: Jahucocha, day off
Day 5: Jahuacocha – Zambunya pass 4750m - Rondoy 4100m - Llámac – Huaraz.
• The day off, you can visit the Rasac and Solteracocha lakes returning in the afternoon to the same campsite.
Things to keep in mind:
• Before beginning this trek, it is essential to have at least one day of acclimatization. You can take one of the daily tours to the Llanganuco lakes, the Chavin de Huantar ruins (by car); or you can do day hike in the Cordillera Blanca around Huaraz.
• Bring basic mountaineering gear. See our suggested list.
Bring a water bottle with you, in the summer season it can get very hot.
• Bring warm clothes along, because in the mountains the temperature can quickly fall below 0 °C, especially in the early morning, at night, and even when the sun drops behind the clouds.
• Walk at your own rhythm, breathe deeply, and enjoy the beautiful views of Cordillera Huayhuash.
If you are interested in this tour and/or you need further information CONTACT US
- Cordillera Huayhuash tours
- Classic Huayhuash circuit
- Shumaq Huayhuash
- Huayhuash - Raura
- Achalau Huayhuash
- Huanuco Marka - Huayhuash
- Munay Huayhuash
- Ichik Huayhuash
- Winter treks
- Trekking Season 2017
- JOIN NOW!